Top 12 Most Famous Daniel J. Boorstin Quotes
“I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortured a pagan, a heretic, or an unbeliever.”Daniel J. Boorstin
16 Inspirational and Thought-provoking Daniel J. Boorstin Quotes
“I beg this committee to recognize that knowledge is not simply another commodity. On the contrary. Knowledge is never used up, it increases by diffusion, and grows by dispersion. Knowledge and information cannot be quantitatively assessed, as a percentage of the G.N.P. Any willful cut in our resources of knowledge is an act of self-destruction.”Daniel J. Boorstin
“The American citizen lives in a world where fantasy is more real than reality, where the image has more dignity than its original. We hardly dare face our bewilderment, because our ambiguous experience is so pleasantly irridescent, and the solace of belief in contrived reality is so thoroughly real. We have become eager accessories to the great hoaxes of the age. These are the hoaxes we play on ourselves.”Daniel J. Boorstin
“An image is not simply a trademark, a design, a slogan or an easily remembered picture. It is a studiously crafted personality profile of an individual, institution, corporation, product or service.”Daniel J. Boorstin
Daniel Boorstin Short Biography
Boorstin graduated from Harvard Law in 1937 as summa cum laude. In 1936 and 1937, he earned two law degrees from the University of Oxford and went on to finish his Doctorate of Juridical Science from Yale University in 1940.
He became a teacher and taught history at the University of Chicago for 25 years, from 1944-1969.
While teaching, he wrote several books, two of them being 2 volumes of The Americans.
In 1973, Boorstin became the director and senior historian of the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of History and Technology.
Boorstin became the 12th Librarian of Congress in 1975 and was instrumental in many projects that he would oversee, one of those being the American Folklife Center.
Daniel Boorstin retired in 1987 and devoted his time to writing. He wrote 22 books and won a Pulitzer Prize for The Americans: The Democratic Experience in 1974.
- Lover of History: Daniel Boorstin – The Baltimore Sun
- The 6 O’ Clock Scholar – The Washington Post
- The Age of the Human Pseudo-Event – Buenos Aires Times
- 100 Inspiring Anaïs Nin Quotes (Take Your Breath Away)
- 76 André Gide Quotes – Father of Modern French Literature
- Top 40 Leo Tolstoy Quotes (WAR AND PEACE)
- 24 Gene Cernan Quotes (LAST MAN ON THE MOON)
- 7 NASA Astronaut Ed White Quotes (APOLLO 1)
- 9 Astronaut John Young Quotes (FOREVER YOUNG)
- 12 Christa McAuliffe Quotes (TEACHER IN SPACE)
- 26 Eileen Marie Collins Quotes (NASA ASTRONAUT)
- Top 16 NASA Kalpana Chawla Quotes (COLUMBIA)
- 34 Richard D. Winters Quotes (BAND OF BROTHERS)
- 26 Spaceman Mike Massimino Quotes (ASTRO MIKE)