Table of Contents:
Top 8 Most Famous Eileen Collins Quotes – The First Female Commander of a Space Shuttle.
“Some people said, “we don’t want to risk astronauts’ lives anymore, we need to stop doing this.” The astronauts don’t feel that way. We fly for our country, we fly for humanity, we fly for exploration, we fly for a variety of reasons, and we don’t stop flying because we have accidents.”Eileen Collins
18 Inspirational Eileen Collins Quotes About Life and Space Travel
“The vast majority of the shuttle program was a success. We learned so much about how a reusable spacecraft interacts with its environment, how it ages-and what to design next time.”Eileen Collins
“Because of [Amelia Earhart], we had more women available to fly in the 1940’s to help us get through World War II. And because of these women, women of my generation are able to look back and say, ‘Hey, they did it. They even flew military airplanes, we can do it, too.’”Eileen Collins
Eileen Marie Collins Short Biography
Born 19 November 1956, in Elmira, New York, United States, Eileen Marie Collins is a retired NASA astronaut, United States Air Force colonel, and the first female pilot and first female commander of a Space Shuttle.
In 1978 she earned a bachelor’s degree in economics and mathematics from Syracuse University. After graduating, she was admitted to Air Force Undergraduate Pilot Training, the same location where the pioneers of female astronauts were training. It was upon seeing this that Collins realized her ambition of becoming an astronaut.
After years of teaching flying and math, Collins graduated from test pilot school in 1990. In the same year, she was chosen to become an astronaut by NASA.
In July 1999 she became the first woman to command a Space Shuttle mission, aboard the Columbia (before the disaster in 2003).
Eileen Collins retired from NASA in 2006. She has served as a United Services Automobile Association (USAA) director, and a member of USAA’s Member and Technology and Nominating and Governance Committees.
- What It Was Like to Become the First Woman to Pilot and Command a Space Shuttle – Smithsonian Magazine
- Woman in The News – Eileen Marie Collins; Woman’s Work: Space Commander – The New York Times
- TIME Firsts Women Leaders – Time
- Famous Veterans: Retired Space Shuttle Commander – military.com
Here are the best Eileen Marie Collins quotes so you can embrace the unknown and have the courage to explore further.
- 26 Spaceman Mike Massimino Quotes (ASTRO MIKE)
- Top 14 Scott Kelly Astronaut Quotes (ENDURANCE)
- 7 Famous Tim Peake Quotes (BRITISH ASTRONAUT)
- 35 Mae C. Jemison Quotes About Space (ENDEAVOUR)
- Top 6 Gus Grissom Quotes (MERCURY SEVEN)
- 17 Motivational Leroy Chiao Quotes (ASTRONAUT)
- 25 Famous Peggy Whitson Quotes (NASA Astronaut)
- 18 Famous Valentina Tereshkova Quotes (VOSTOK 6)