Top 12 Most Famous Herbert Spencer Quotes (BEST)
16 Inspirational Herbert Spencer Quotes (SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST)
“This survival of the fittest which I have here sought to express in mechanical terms, is that which Mr. Darwin has called “natural selection”, or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life.”Herbert Spencer
Herbert Spencer Short Biography
Spencer was tutored by his father and his uncle in his youth. In the late 1830s, he worked as a civil engineer, and during this time he wrote several journals.
In 1873, Spencer started a series entitled Descriptive Sociology, the series would include information on social institutions of “primitive” and “civilized” varieties. This series was published in 1934, 31 years after his death.
Contrary to popular belief, Spencer coined the phrase “survival of the fittest”, not Charles Darwin, after reading Darwin’s work. Spencer theorized social Darwinism in the 1870s which applies this belief. (Source)
In 1857 Spencer published his essay; Progress: Its Laws and Cause, in the Westminster Review. This essay was a look into his views on evolution.
Herbert Spencer is believed to be the only philosopher to have sold over a million copies of his work during his lifetime. He was a great influence on leaders, doctors, engineers, physicists, and the everyday man.
- The Contribution of Herbert Spencer to Sociology – Your Article Library
- Herbert Spencer, Sociology Theory, and the Professions – Frontiers in Sociology
- Herbert Spencer on the Survival of the Fittest – Works & Days
- 31 Rosa Parks Quotes on Love (BUS BOYCOTT)
- Top 25 Edwin Hubbell Chapin Quotes (PREACHER)
- 64 Best Kahlil Gibran Quotes on Love (FRIENDSHIP)
- 52 Best Sigmund Freud Quotes on Life (DREAMS)
- 17 Best Joe DiMaggio Quotes (BASEBALL)
- 72 Best C.S. Lewis Quotes on Love (CHRISTIANITY)
- 33 Best Sir Isaac Newton Quotes (EDUCATION)
- 34 Best Frederick Douglass Quotes (FREEDOM)
- 25 Best Karl Malone Quotes (THE MAILMAN)