Top 9 Most Famous John Young Quotes to Inspire Adventure in Air and Space
“Our ability to live and work on other places in the solar system will end up giving us the science and technology that we need to save the species. I’m talking about human beings. I’d hate to miss all that fun.”John Young
“Anyone who sits on top of the largest hydrogen-oxygen fueled system in the world, knowing they’re going to light the bottom, and doesn’t get a little worried, does not fully understand the situation.”John Young
John Young Short Biography
Born on 24 September 1930 in San Francisco, California, United States, John Watts Young was an aeronautical engineer and American astronaut. He was the 9th person to walk on the moon and was the commander of the Apollo 16 mission.
Young graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1952.
He then joined the United States Navy and was commissioned on June 6, 1952. Young then went on to receive his aviator wings in 1954.
After which, John Young completed his training at the United States Naval Test Pilot School in 1959.
Three years later, Young joined NASA and became the pilot of Gemini 3. And in 1965 joined Gus Grissom in the first crewed Gemini spacecraft.
In 1969, John Young became the Command Module Pilot of Apollo 10, which flew to the Moon. And in 1972, Young flew as commander of the Apollo 16 mission, the fifth crewed landing on the moon.
Young had also commanded the Space Shuttle program’s first launch, the Space Shuttle Columbia: STS-1. And later commanded the STS-9.
After his last mission, Young became a Special Assistant to the Johnson Space Center Director for Engineering, Operations, and Safety when he became openly critical of NASA’s management.
John Young retired from NASA after 42 years of service. He published an autobiography in 2012, entitled; Forever Young.
- Conversation with John Young – Houston Chronicle
- Interviews with The Men on The Moon – The Telegraph
- Apollo in 50 Numbers: Medicine and Health – BBC Future
Here are the best John Young quotes so you can instill confidence in yourself to achieve greatness in life.
- 26 Eileen Marie Collins Quotes (NASA ASTRONAUT)
- 16 NASA Kalpana Chawla Quotes (SS COLUMBIA)
- 26 Spaceman Mike Massimino Quotes (ASTRO MIKE)
- Top 14 Scott Kelly Astronaut Quotes (ENDURANCE)
- 7 Famous Tim Peake Quotes (BRITISH ASTRONAUT)
- 35 Mae C. Jemison Quotes About Space (ENDEAVOUR)
- Top 6 Gus Grissom Quotes (MERCURY SEVEN)
- 17 Motivational Leroy Chiao Quotes (ASTRONAUT)
- 25 Famous Peggy Whitson Quotes (NASA Astronaut)
- 18 Famous Valentina Tereshkova Quotes (VOSTOK 6)