Top 17 Most Famous Leroy Chiao Quotes to Inspire You – The Commander of Expedition 10
“There is no one area of chemical engineering that specifically helped me in my career as an astronaut, it was more the general education in engineering. Also, it was a very difficult and rigorous course. So, it made me strong and resourceful.”Leroy Chiao
“I had done everything I could do as an astronaut, and we have a long line of inexperienced astronauts waiting for their first missions, and so my role really should be to step aside and help them prepare for their missions, rather than to try to get another mission.”Leroy Chiao
“Coming down under a parachute is quite different as well. You hit the ground pretty hard, but all the systems work very well to keep it from hurting, so it doesn’t even hurt when you hit. It was a great experience to be able to do both.”Leroy Chiao
“I’m Chinese-American, of course, and so it’s very interesting to see China actually launch their own astronauts, becoming the third nation, following the United States and Russia, to do so.”Leroy Chiao
Leroy Chiao Short Biography
Born 28 August 1960, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States, Leroy Chiao was the commander of Expedition 10 and the International Space Station.
Graduating from the University of California in 1983, Chiao received a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering. He proceeded to earn an M.S. and a Ph.D. in chemical engineering in 1985 and 1987 respectively.
After graduating, he earned experience as a research engineer at Hexcel Corp.
In 1991, Chiao became a mission specialist for NASA. He flew as a mission specialist for four space flights.
Along with being fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Chiao had learned how to speak Russian as part of the International Space Station program’s initiative, to communicate with Russian cosmonauts.
Leroy Chiao became the first American to vote in space when he participated in the 2004 US presidential election while aboard the International Space Station.
In December 2005, after his 15-year run with the agency, Chiao left NASA to pursue a different career.
He ventured on to become CEO and co-founder of OneOrbit, a corporation that provides training, workshops, and school programs aimed to positively impact businesses, the workforce, and students.
Leroy Chiao is currently an advisor for the Houston Association for Space and Science Education and a motivational speaker.
- Leroy Chiao: Why Asian Kids Need to Project Themselves to Succeed – Post Magazine
- How Former Astronaut Leroy Chiao Turned His Dream of Space into a Reality – Space.com
- Leroy Chiao, Chinese-American Astronaut, Talks About His Inspirational Life Story – Chinaspeakersagency.com
- Astronaut to Incoming Students: Success Comes from Perseverance – Rice University
Here are the best Leroy Chiao quotes so you can be motivated to study and work hard to achieve the life you’ve always dreamed of.
- 18 Famous Valentina Tereshkova Quotes (VOSTOK 6)
- Top 8 Astronaut Michael Collins Quotes (APOLLO 11)
- Top 7 Fred Haise Quotes (AMERICAN ASTRONAUT)
- 24 John Glenn Astronaut Quotes (SPACE TRAVEL)
- Top 11 Yuri Gagarin Quotes (SOVIET COSMONAUT)
- Top 15 Astronaut Jim Lovell Quotes (APOLLO 13)
- Top 43 Astronaut Chris Hadfield Quotes (CANADIAN)
- 41 Sally Kristen Ride Quotes (WOMAN ASTRONAUT)
- Top 11 Sergei Krikalev Quotes (USSR COSMONAUT)