Top 12 Most Famous Ovid Quotes (BEST)
Ovid Short Biography
Ovid was sent to Rome to be educated and found his fondness for writing there. After some traveling and work for some judicial posts he decided to cultivate a career in poetry instead, a talent that came naturally to him.
His first work Amores is a series of poems addressed to a lover named Corinna. In AD 8 Ovid completed Metamorphoses, which is considered to be his magnum opus. Metamorphoses is an epic poem with 250 myths, written in 15 books. Ovid wrote about the history of the world and the transformations that occur over time.
Ovid was exiled in AD 8 by Emperor Augustus. Some historians believe he may have been banished due to the content of his work that contradicted the rules and laws employed by the Emperor. During this time, he wrote two collections of poems that depicted his sadness and isolation, these were entitled Tristia and Epistulae ex Ponto.
- Guide to the Classics: Ovid’s Metamorphoses and Reading Rape – Theconversation.com
- From Ovid to Rushdie: Ovid’s Influence on Later Literature – Web.colby.edu
- Five Fascinating Facts About Ovid – Interesting Literature
Here are the best Ovid quotes so you can learn about the transformative power of love and how every human being is affected by it.
- 59 Simon Sinek Quotes on Leadership (CHANGE)
- 52 Earl Nightingale Quotes on Success (LIFE)
- Top 55 Positive Attitude Quotes (INSPIRATIONAL)
- 44 Famous Ernest Hemingway Quotes (WRITING)
- 31 Inspirational Danielle LaPorte Quotes (DESIRE)
- Top 67 Quotes About Respect (INSPIRATIONAL)
- 75 Inspirational Christmas Quotes (FESTIVITY)
- Top 28 Legacy Quotes (LEAVING A MARK)
- Top 38 Quotes About Culture (IDENTITY)