Top 12 Most Famous Sophocles Quotes About Life (BEST)
Sophocles Short Biography
Born on 496 BCE in Colonus, near Athens, Sophocles was a playwright who wrote over 120 plays in his lifetime.
He was born into a prominent family and received a good education as a child. Unfortunately, not much is known about Sophocles. Historians note that he served as treasurer, and he had also been elected as a stratēgoi who commanded armed forces.
Sophocles was well known among social circles in Athens due to personality and wealth. As a dramatist, he was known for the changes he brought to the theater. He increased the number of actors on a stage from the usual two (or duet) to 3, which allowed for scenes to become more dramatic, which deepened the development of characters.
Of his 120 plays, only 7 have survived in completion. Of the 7 remaining plays, most historians believe Ajax to be the earliest written play.
Sophocles had also written Oedipus the King (or Oedipus Rex) a play based on the mythical Greek hero who had killed his father and married his mother. Sigmund Freud, a popular neurologist coined the term Oedipus complex from this tale.
- Sophocles: Archetypal Master of Greek Tragedy – Ancient-origins.net
- Sophocles Road to Contemporary Greek Theatre – Theodoregrammatas.com
- The Religious and Moral Ideas of Sophocles – Theatredatabase.com
- 48 Mark Zuckerberg Quotes on Success (FACEBOOK)
- 54 Sheryl Sandberg Quotes on Leadership (LEAN IN)
- 34 Malala Yousafzai Quotes on Education (EQUALITY)
- 55 Best Thich Nhat Hanh Quotes (TRUE LOVE)
- 40 Best Og Mandino Quotes on Love (MIRACLE)
- 55 Dr. Seuss Quotes About Change (LEARNING)
- 63 Richard Branson Quotes on Leadership (WORK)
- 55 William Shakespeare Quotes on Success (LIFE)
- 42 Anne Frank Quotes About Hope (GRATITUDE)