Table of Contents:
Top 15 Most Famous Wally Schirra Quotes – One of the Seven Astronauts Chosen for Project Mercury
“I know enough about the moon to know how unpleasant and inhospitable it is… I know enough about Mars to know that you can’t live there, you can’t settle it. Mars and the moon are two ugly islands. So then, you say, what’s the point of going to them? The point is to be able to say I’ve been there, I’ve set foot on them, and I can go further to look for beautiful islands.”Wally Schirra
“When a man looks across a street, sees a pretty girl, and waves at her, that’s not a rendezvous, that’s a passing acquaintance. When he walks across the street and nibbles on her ear, that’s a rendezvous!’Wally Schirra
“Feeling weightless… it’s so many things together. A feeling of pride, of healthy solitude, of dignified freedom from everything that’s dirty, sticky. You feel exquisitely comfortable… and you feel you have so much energy, such an urge to do things, such an ability to do things. And you work well, yes, you think well, without sweat, without difficulty as if the biblical curse in the sweat of thy face and in sorrow no longer exists, As if you’ve been born again.”Wally Schirra
Wally Schirra Short Biography
Schirra graduated in 1945 from the U.S. Naval Academy. And in 1959 became a test pilot.
On October 3, 1962, Schirra piloted Sigma 7 during the Mercury-Atlas 8 mission making him the 5th American in space. Schirra’s name will be remembered in history as the first astronaut to travel to space thrice.
Wally Schirra commanded the Apollo 7 flight on October 11, 1968, the first crewed Apollo mission. During this mission, the first television feed was broadcasted on American commercial networks.
He retired from NASA in 1969 and moved on to become a consultant to CBS News.
After his time with NASA and along with a few surviving members of the original Mercury Seven, Schirra established the Mercury Seven Foundation. This foundation raises funds to help provide college scholarships for science and engineering students in need.
He also co-authored; “We Seven”, a biography of the first seven NASA astronauts.
- Wally Schirra, One of Mercury Seven – Press-Telegram
- ‘I Worked With NASA, Not for NASA’ Interview with Wally Schirra – collectspace.com
- The Flight (and Fights) of Apollo 7 – Air & Space
Here are the best Wally Schirra quotes so you can be inspired to work hard and face any challenges with dignity.
- 9 Astronaut John Young Quotes (FOREVER YOUNG)
- 12 Christa McAuliffe Quotes (TEACHER IN SPACE)
- 26 Eileen Marie Collins Quotes (NASA ASTRONAUT)
- Top 16 NASA Kalpana Chawla Quotes (COLUMBIA)
- 34 Richard D. Winters Quotes (BAND OF BROTHERS)
- 26 Spaceman Mike Massimino Quotes (ASTRO MIKE)
- Top 14 Scott Kelly Astronaut Quotes (ENDURANCE)
- 7 Famous Tim Peake Quotes (BRITISH ASTRONAUT)