Born on 4 July 1946 in Encino, California, the U.S., Michael Robert Milken (dubbed the Junk Bond King) is an American financier who developed the market for high-yield bonds (aka junk bonds) which resulted in many of the corporate takeovers of the 1980s.
Pleaded guilty to six courts for tax violations, felony charges for violating U.S. securities laws, Michael Milken was convicted and sentenced to prison for ten years and was fined $600 million dollars.
Nevertheless, his prison sentence was reduced to a mere 2 years for cooperating with testimony against his former colleagues and for good behavior.
Today, Michael Milken is a remarkable philanthropist. In 2004, the Fortune magazine called Milken “The Man Who Changed Medicine” in their cover story.
- In 1982, he and his brother Lowell founded the Milken Family Foundation to fund crucial medical research.
- In 1985, he founded the Milken Educator Awards that has awarded more than $60 million dollars to over 2,500 teachers.
- In 1993, after his prison release, Milken was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer. Therefore, he founded the Prostate Cancer Foundation for prostate cancer research.
- And many more…
- Michael Milken invented the modern junk bond, went to prison, and then became one of the most respected people on Wall Street – Business Insider
- A Look At The Newly Pardoned Michael Milken, A ‘Junk Bond King’ Turned Philanthropist – npr
- Michael Milken and the History of Junk Bonds – How Stuff Works
- Michael Milken, junk bond king wins pardon at last – Financial Times
- The story of Michael Milken: the Junk Bond King – Gentlemen’s Journal
“There’s no substitute for rolling up your sleeves and working with the people who can make a difference. They get the benefit of your participation and you gain a direct understanding of the real problems and potential solutions, which makes you a more informed giver.”Michael Milken
Debt isn’t good. Debt isn’t bad. For some companies, close to zero debt is too much leverage. For other companies, nearly 100 percent much higher levels of debt can easily be absorbed.Michael Milken
“Where is society heading in the 21st century? The two largest sectors of the U.S. economy – health care and education – are poised to expand and become an even larger share of gross domestic product.”Michael Milken
18 Inspirational Michael Milken Quotes to Empower and Motivate You
Any analysis of capital structure should recognize that most balance sheets are dramatically inaccurate because (with the exception of professional sports franchises) they fail to include the value of human capital.Michael Milken
The real future value of U.S. assets won’t be determined by retirements, but by policy decisions on education, taxation, regulation, immigration, international investment and the environment.Michael Milken
The real immigration issue is not only huddled masses yearning to be free – it’s smart entrepreneurs and scientists who can change the world. Any nation that fails to welcome them will fall behind.Michael Milken
- 27 Michael Steinhardt Quotes on Success (INVESTOR)
- Top 55 Ray Kroc Quotes on Success (MCDONALD’S)
- 52 Inspiring Amelia Earhart Quotes (COURAGEOUS)
- 52 Philip Fisher Quotes (LEGENDARY INVESTOR)
- 85 Tony Robbins Quotes (UNLIMITED POWER)
- 107 Robert Kiyosaki Quotes (RICH DAD POOR DAD)
- 80 Peter Lynch Quotes (ONE UP ON WALL STREET)
- 66 Most Famous Warren Buffett Quotes (INVESTING)
- 61 Investment Quotes to Inspire You (FINANCING)
- 122 Inspirational Character Quotes (PERSONALITY)