Thoreau was one of America’s most famous writers. He was also an essayist, poet, environmental scientist, and philosopher.
Born on 12 July 1817 in Concord, Massachusetts, U.S, Thoreau is a lifelong and fervent abolitionist whose philosophy of civil disobedience would later influence the thoughts of notable figures such as Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King. Jr.
Below are the best Thoreau quotes so you can be inspired by the wisdom of one of America’s most famous writers.
Top 26 Most-favorited Henry David Thoreau Quotes
38 Inspiring Henry David Thoreau Quotes to Encourage You
You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.”Henry David Thoreau
It is better to have your head in the clouds, and know where you are… than to breathe the clearer atmosphere below them, and think that you are in paradise.”Henry David Thoreau
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.”Henry David Thoreau
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.”Henry David Thoreau
- 74 Jim Rohn Quotes to Motivate You When You Are Down
- 64 Wise Naval Ravikant Quotes to Be Happier & Wealthier
- 93 Robert Greene Quotes on Mastery, Power, & Success
- 67 Brené Brown Quotes on Rising, Braving, and Daring
- 77 Napoleon Hill Quotes to Help You Think & Grow Rich
- Top 84 Dale Carnegie Quotes to Motivate & Uplift You
- 59 Viktor Frankl Quotes on Life & The Search for Meaning