Top 16 Most Famous Oscar Wilde Quotes to Inspire You
88 Best Oscar Wilde Quotes About Life, Imagination, and Books
Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one’s head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.”Oscar Wilde
23 Oscar Wilde Quotes on Love, Marriage & Relationships
Oscar Wilde Short Biography
Born on 16 October 1854 in Dublin, Ireland, Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish poet, dramatist, and playwright best known for his novels ‘The Picture of Dorian Gray (1891)’ and ‘The Importance of Being Earnest (1895).’
Oscar Wilde was a spokesman for aestheticism in the late 19th-century which advocated art for art’s sake. He was also well applauded for his biting wit, flamboyant style, and impressive conversational skill.
Wilde was the subject of the infamous imprisonment for his criminal suits which involved homosexuality and sodomy on 25 May 1895. Rather than escaping to France, he decided to remain and face trial.
He served his sentence in London’s Pentonville Prison and was later transferred to London’s Reading Gaol where he remained until his release in 1897.
Wilde’s health suffered tremendously in prison due to hard labor and continued to decline after his release. He spent his final 3 years exile in France where he composed his last work The Ballad of Reading Gaol.
He passed away on November 30, 1900, at the age of 46 and was buried in France.
- Oscar Wilde’s Stirring Love Letters to Lord Alfred “Bosie” Douglas – Brain Pickings
- Oscar Wilde Biography – Wilde Online
- 15 Things You May Not Know About Oscar Wilde – Culture Trip
- 7 facts you (probably) didn’t know about Oscar Wilde – History Extra
Here are the best Oscar Wilde quotes so you can live life to the fullest without bothering what the world thinks of you.
- 80 Inspirational Bruce Lee Quotes (JEET KUNE DO)
- 104 Mother Teresa Quotes on Giving & Kindness (LOVE)
- 158 Robin Sharma Quotes on Fear & Change (DESTINY)
- 79 Inspirational Dwayne Johnson Quotes (THE ROCK)
- 115 John C. Maxwell Quotes on Success (LEADERSHIP)
- 108 Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes (SELF-RELIANCE)
- 76 Inspiring Benjamin Franklin Quotes (FREEDOM)
- 88 Benjamin Disraeli Quotes on Life (REMARKABLE)
- 82 Seneca Quotes on Love, Time, & Death (STOICISM)