Top 13 Most Famous Socrates Quotes to Inspire You
89 Best Socrates Quotes on Love, Happiness, and Change
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”Socrates
I decided that it was not wisdom that enabled poets to write their poetry, but a kind of instinct or inspiration, such as you find in seers and prophets who deliver all their sublime messages without knowing in the least what they mean.”Socrates
The shortest and surest way to live with honour in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice of them.”Socrates
To fear death, gentlemen, is no other than to think oneself wise when one is not, to think one knows what one does not know. No one knows whether death may not be the greatest of all blessings for a man, yet men fear it as if they knew that it is the greatest of evils.”Socrates
If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the Muses, believing that technique alone will make him a good poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the performances of the inspired madman.”Socrates
No one can teach, if by teaching we mean the transmission of knowledge, in any mechanical fashion, from one person to another. The most that can be done is that one person who is more knowledgeable than another can, by asking a series of questions, stimulate the other to think, and so cause him to learn for himself.”Socrates
Regard your good name as the richest jewel you can possibly be possessed of – for credit is like fire; when once you have kindled it you may easily preserve it, but if you once extinguish it, you will find it an arduous task to rekindle it again. The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.”Socrates
What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?Socrates
Socrates Short Biography
Born on 470 BC in Deme Alopece, Athens, Socrates was a Greek Philosopher whose teachings and way of life exerted a profound influence on ancient and modern philosophy.
His Socratic method of questioning laid the foundation for Western Logic and Philosophy. Often dubbed and credited the father of Western Philosophy, Socrates’ methods were the main source of Western ethical tradition of thought.
Back in the days, Socrates was a controversial figure in his native Athens. He was sentenced to death by hemlock poisoning in 399 B.C due to his Socratic method of questioning that ‘corrupted’ the minds of youth. Instead of fleeing to exile, he accepted his judgment and face his sentence.
- Socrates – a man for our times – The Guardian
- Socrates in love: how the ideas of this woman are at the root of Western philosophy – The Conversation
- What Would Socrates Do? Business advice from Ancient Philosophers – Workflow Max
- Socrates’ Divine Sign: Religion, Practice and Value in Socratic Philosophy – University of Notre Dame
Here are the best Socrates quotes so you can be wise to know thyself and understand that true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
- 129 Oscar Wilde Quotes on Love & Life (BE YOURSELF)
- 80 Inspirational Bruce Lee Quotes (JEET KUNE DO)
- 104 Mother Teresa Quotes on Giving & Kindness (LOVE)
- 158 Robin Sharma Quotes on Fear & Change (DESTINY)
- 79 Inspirational Dwayne Johnson Quotes (THE ROCK)
- 115 John C. Maxwell Quotes on Success (LEADERSHIP)
- 108 Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes (SELF-RELIANCE)
- 76 Inspiring Benjamin Franklin Quotes (FREEDOM)
- 88 Benjamin Disraeli Quotes on Life (REMARKABLE)