Best known for writing one of the Great American Novels (GAV), Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884) – the sequel of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876), Samuel Langhorne Clemens – more professionally known as Mark Twain – is said to be The Father of American Literature by William Faulkner.
Mark Twain wasn’t just a brilliant writer and novelist, he’s an exceptional humorist, adventurer, satirist, and lecturer too.
Do something every day that you don’t want to do. This is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain.”Mark Twain
He is a popular public figure – even up to the 21st century (more than a century after his death). Foreseeably, Mark Twain is one of America’s greatest and most beloved writers.
These are the top 14 most-favorited Mark Twain books, collections, and biography (by Reedsy):
- The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County (1865)
- The Innocents Abroad (1869)
- Roughing It (1872)
- The Gilded Age (1873)
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)
- A Tramp Abroad (1880)
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885)
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court (1889)
- The Tragedy of Pudd’nhead Wilson and Those Extraordinary Twins (1893)
- Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc (1896)
- Following the Equator (1897)
- The Mysterious Stranger (1916)
- Letters from the Earth (1962) – Mark Twain never intended for this to be published hence the date – decades after his death.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain (2010)
The greatest lesson I’ve learned from Mark Twain is to be myself and never allow age to define me.
A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.”Mark Twain
- 35 Life-Changing Lessons to Learn from Mark Twain – Purpose Fairy
- Once you learn these 10 lessons from Mark Twain, you’ll live a kick-ass life – Ideapod
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Mark Twain – Geni
Below are the best Mark Twain sayings so you can ponder upon his wisdom and laugh at his witty philosophical quotes.
(MUST READ) Mark Twain: Five Novels (Leather-bound Classics)
25 Powerful Mark Twain Quotes to Live By
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”Mark Twain
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”Mark Twain
22 Inspiring Mark Twain Quotes on Life & Success
34 of the Best Mark Twain Quotes to Think About
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.”Mark Twain
- 94 Friedrich Nietzsche Quotes to Inspire Deep Thinking
- 100 Inspiring Anaïs Nin Quotes to Take Your Breath Away
- 61 Napoléon Bonaparte Quotes On Life, Leadership, & Success
- 125 Albert Einstein Quotes to Inspire Radical Thinking (GENIUS)
- 75 Leo Buscaglia Quotes on Love, Time & Change (DR. LOVE)
- 76 André Gide Quotes – Father of Modern French Literature
- 61 Nelson Mandela Quotes to Touch & Inspire You Deeply